Sunday, April 24, 2022

For the Love of the Job

Fast Llamas,

Teaching is important and no program is more important than the teacher doing the work.

It's about people, the people we work along side and the students in the halls and in our rooms.
We should lean on and rely on each other for assistance, collaboration and moral support as much and as often as possible. We share our expertise with one another, know our impact and change the learning lives of our students.

I am referring to the book, 75 Ways to Be a Better Teacher Tomorrow by Annette Breaux and Todd Whitaker. This book was handed out to new teachers and it is a quick read with each chapter 2 - 3 pages. Today, I am focusing on idea #15, Post a Simple Sign Telling Why You're a Teacher. Andy Abbott and I were talking about this the other day, low and behold, it's already a thing...

It looks, sounds and feels like this...

Make a sign that says, "I'm a teacher because..." and then list the reasons.
Make the sign fairly large and post it in the room for all to see. It will remind you, every day, of why you are here and why you do what you do.

Here's an example from the book:

I am a Teacher Because...
1. I love my students.
2. I love to help people achieve their goals.
3. I believe that all of my students are talented. It is a privilege to help students
discover their unique talents
4. I believe that all of my students have amazing potential. It is a privilege to help all
students realize their potential.
5. I feel there is no more important profession in the world.
6. I love learning from my students.
7. Teaching is fun for me!


Consider placing a duplicate sign outside your door. I am thinking this would be a great addition to our teacher Bio's we already have posted. Others will stop by and read it and you will inspire others. Administrators will read it as well as well as guests in our building. Proudly proclaim your love of teaching and post it for all to see.

We are shifting our mindset in our thinking. This takes effort. Everytime we send a positive thought across our neural pathways, we make our positive thoughts and actions stronger and stronger. This thinking creates real change. The first step is belief.


No comments:

Post a Comment