Sunday, November 29, 2020

How Wearing a $6.99 Server Apron Leveled Up my Teaching Game for the Win!

Fast Llamas,

Today I want to talk about how wearing a $6.99 server apron ordered from Amazon revolutionized and improved my classroom management system. This is an old post, but such a good reminder of how innovative and creative thinking can go a long way. This also puts the idea of "shift". When things are not working, what can you do in yourself to exact change. This was one of those times fo me and I hope it inspires you.
While teaching in Amarillo ISD, I came across an idea that I decided to try and it worked tremendously. It was probably the simplest idea ever, but it made my life in the classroom much easier. It was a server apron.



The teacher who gave me the idea was actually wearing a Home Depot apron.



But, I couldn't find at the time, so I ordered an apron from Amazon and it worked just as well. My school colors at the time were dark green, so, I ordered mine in that color. I think two came in a pack, so I gave the other one to my teacher partner. She used it with success too.
Here's a list of successes.
1. No more pencil problems, it was loaded with sharpened ones. “Need a new pencil? Here ya go...” This is actually an idea born from kids who were bored constantly getting up and sharpening their pencils and being a disruption. So, I changed the system to an exchange one for one. One broken or dull pencil to a sharpened one.
2. Passes – we weren’t allowed to use a permanent pass in my building, so this worked nice
3. Reward tickets – “boom! caught you being good”
4. Erasers - mistakes happen
5. Need a pen to sign passes? They're in there too as are dry erase markers and sharpies
6. 'Magic erasers' – we weren’t allowed to give jolly ranchers… so, this was a secret between me and the kids.
7. Warning cards – “boom! caught you needing some help” … “show me your P.L.A.N” *see warning cards blog...
8. My phone… because I used timers and music a lot.

Using this system allowed me to never leave the power zone when it was super important not to do so.
Did administrators and fellow teachers make fun of it?... kind of, but, I am not there for them, I am there for the kids. And honestly my own sanity… And, I own my weirdness… And there are teacher aprons on Pinterest, so I know there are other nerds like me who wear server aprons when they teach. Be brave and a good sport about it.
Putting it on each morning was like putting on my armor. It geared me up for the day ahead and aided in the 'be there, play, make their day, choose your attitude' attitude needed to lead students.
Try it... you may like it

No comments:

Post a Comment