Sunday, September 17, 2023

Repost - What do Students Really Want?

 Fast Llamas,

I was on my old high school Facebook book group the other day and a fellow SHS Raider posted this question:

         Name teachers from our high school days.  

Wow, the comments filled up so quickly with the names of teachers, their subjects and the experiences we had.  I personally remember my physical science teacher taking us outside to view a Solar Eclipse and he taught us how to make a tool out of paper so we wouldn't hurt our eyes; my 9th grade English class, she was always so creative, we seemed to do a lot of art with words; and finally, Mrs. Jackson, (who I will directly name here) my Biology I and II teacher, who turned me on to science and took us to Houston to see open heart surgery and tour the medical school.  Some of the teachers mentioned, I loved, some I had wished I had (though I really loved my senior year English teacher, there was a another one that everyone always talked about at lunch, super jealous still).  I have a few ex-teachers as friends with on the facebook platform.  It has given me insight to the culture of my high school. 

I came to a quick realization that we were listing the teachers who we liked.  Nobody mentioned the teachers who had reputations for being "mean" or "she doesn't like anyone or worse, she only likes her "pets". (what other words would a 15 year old use to describe a teacher?) Those teachers came to my mind, but I didn't list them.  I didn't want to disrupt the positive vibe that was happening in the comments.  Everyone was celebrating who they remembered fondly... but I am sure the sour faced teachers came to the forefront of their minds.  Mine certainly did... 

Why was it worth our time to stop and mention these teachers?  Why do I remembered the teachers who wouldn't look at me?; the teacher, who in November, was still was mispronouncing my last name?; the teacher who talked to me sharply, only to talk to the next student kindly?  Why is it 38 years later I remember them? 

The only good thing I can say is, I knew exactly the teacher I wanted to be... and the one I did not... 

What are the three characteristics of teachers that appeal to students?  There are a ton of websites that describe the characteristics of ideal classrooms, of ideal teachers, and of excellent teachers.  There was one  I went to said there are 8 characteristics... I would agree it takes a lot of effort to be a great teacher, I have narrowed the list down to three...


Three characteristics - 
Firmness, Compassion and Stimulating teaching style.

Why do you think even disruptive students would find these characteristics appealing? 
Firmness
Firm teachers are consistent.  They have explicit rules, norms, procedures, systems and routines in place.  When you walk into their room, you know what you are gonna get... and it feels good.  Students are more likely to participate, engage and behave when they feel safe.  These teachers also have high expectations of their students and have firm boundaries.  Knowing that not only are students capable of learning their content, they are capable of rising to behavioral expectations.  What makes these teachers different is they believe their classrooms will be whatever they want them to be... and they treat their students with dignity and respect.  They show dignity and respect by teaching students social skills and view teaching students how to be successful humans as a privilege not a chore.  Finally, they embed social skills within their content and the opportunity to show kids what excellence looks like effortless. They never miss an opportunity.  By having clear expectations around their routines (norms, procedures, rules or systems, whatever you all them) and being consistent builds strong relationships.

Compassion
Teachers are kind... I could leave it here.  Kind teachers make their students feel welcomed, cared for and loved.  There is an unconditional positive regard for their students and belief in their students capacity to learn.  They trust that their students are bringing their best.  I like to say that these teachers set up a beautiful dinner for their students and welcome them to the table.  I spoke about dignity and respect before when talking about firmness.  When we have clear boundaries (and when those boundaries are tested and they will be tested) these teachers are able to communicate their consequences without losing students losing their dignity.  Because they are predictable and consistent, when a rule is broken, the consequence is logical and allows the student to serve whatever sanction they earned with dignity.  Finally, these teachers reflect on how they can set their students up for success, thinking about the risks students will take in their learning.

Stimulating Teaching Style
This is not about having fireworks everyday in class. There is a wide variety of instructional strategies used with students.  Relying on a teaching cycle is great way to make sure your students state is factoring into the daily lesson.  I used EELDRC.

Enroll and Experience - using hooks and experiences to grab students attention throughout the lesson
Labeling - the direct teaching is interactive and engaging - lots of drawings, videos, pictures, stories and questions
Demonstrate - students have ample opportunities to practice, there is a wide variety of strategies put into play 
Recall - students have ample opportunities to review
Celebrate - teacher acknowledges effort and learning in big and small ways

All of this is great stuff, but let's not forget, students are watching and listening. Mirroring happens. If the teacher is excited to be at school, excited about the content, excited about the learning, students will pick up on that and follow along.  

Students find that teachers who exhibit these characteristics deserve their respect and respect is the cornerstone of healthy RELATIONSHIPS. That Biology teacher I mentioned earlier?  I actually went to Texas Tech University because that's where SHE had gone.  She and I formed a relationship I still wish I had today.  She passed away several years ago, but her legacy lives on.  
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment