Sunday, September 4, 2022

Trim Tabs and the Your Power Within

Fast Llamas,


I have been running across articles and blogs about reflective practices and how they can inform the development of relationships with your students and fellow teachers.  I really like this, because we have talked about the importance of relationships and how they can create academic growth.  I love saying that relationships that foster curiosity, joy and belonging are the vehicle to move students success. Achievement comes along for the ride in the form of deep learning and a change in student attitudes about their own learning and your content.  Now it seems, there is more conversations about the specificity of "how" to create these relationships.  Say out loud right now, "It begins with me".  (it's okay if people look at you funny, it's part of the journey)

In my own teaching story, it was when I became more reflective (knew thyself) about my own teaching practices that I was able to see a shift in my students abilities.  I became a happier teacher when I shifted from my "teaching" to my "student's learning".  Creativity bloomed; engagement increased; and a more challenging classroom emerged.  

To get started on your reflection ask yourself these questions:

1.  Do you focus on the learning as your design your lessons?  Spending more time on the learning, rather than your teaching?  

2.  Do you focus on individual student experiences, rather than the class' experience with your lesson?  The whole class experience is important, too, but, how well do you know students in order to understand their individual experience?  Do you know the flyers and the kids who need interventions?

3.  How will you handle negative comments about your students  and their abilities?  (on the clock face we discussed last week, as "whoa, don't label). What words will you use when colleagues begin to describe their inabilities?

4. How dialed in are you to ensuring you are making a connection with students? How do you know they leave your class still thinking about the lesson? How long will they carry it with them? Not just content, but how they felt in class today?

5. What's your plan for how you speak to students? What is your body language?

6. How do you get to know your students?

7. Once you know your students, how will you use this information to teach them?

We focus on out content and how we will deliver it, but there is a common thread here. It begins and ends with relationships. Create real connections and a sense of belonging and watch your kids succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment