Sunday, January 12, 2020

Rethinking your Classroom Environment

Hey, Fast Llama's of Labay,
Great idea
I was walking in HEB yesterday and realized they have an entire section devoted to organization and
cleaning in their "seasonal section". This got me thinking that the new year is for getting organized
and do that "Spring Cleaning"! How does that apply to us at school?
So let's talk about your classroom. Let's change that thinking to an "environment". Brain based
education studies note that the brain works best when it is not under stress. You release more dopamine
and thus retain more information when don't feel fear or anxiety. So, focus on making your classroom
aesthetically pleasing. I use table lamp and turn off the fluorescent lights. Once you have taught in a
room lit this way, you don't want to go back. It is very easy on the eyes. Doing any spring cleaning at
home and are changing out lamps? Bring your old ones to school! When I was teaching at Spillane,
I had a huge classroom (I am not bragging, lol). It was windowless, so it took quite a bit of lamps to
get it lit the best for my students. It took years of collecting lamps from friends, from discount stores
and garage sales. So, let your collecting begin. Also, I got my first period to turn on the lamps for me...
they liked it.
Consider adding plants. Plants serve two purposes, one, plants release oxygen and filter
out pollutants, second, plants are pleasing and calming.
Now for the walls... When I began teaching, I put up every poster I could find. Free posters from
NASA, (they will give you any if you ask), posters I purchased and posters I created. They were
everywhere. Now this is amazing that I admit this, since I went to college to study education during the
heyday of Madeline Hunter. Hunter was the be all, end all of education during this time. She was the
guru. And, she was good. I am still referring to her. Anyway, Madeline Hunter, said, your walls should
be blank, with bursting and overflowing cabinets. In other words, only put the posters out that you are
using at the moment, then put them away when the unit is done. So, be purposeful about your posters.
As the year progresses, add posters, remove posters, but keep what "icon poster and/or anchor charts"
of specific info you want to keep on the forefront of the students minds. On these posters are items
that I want to continue to recap and review with students.
Another educational strategist that I studied in college, who still speaks to me is Harry Wong.
One of his suggestions is to put on a bulletin board a timeline of yourself. Start with a baby picture,
definitely one of the age of the kids you teach, a high school or college, husband, etc. A story of your
life. Kids love it and you will see them looking at them. It's just another way to make a connection with
them. And that's what "setting the stage" is all about, making the kids feel invited into your learning
environment, establishing a relationship with them. Then, once you have captured them, then the
learning can begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment